Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin naturally obtained from sunlight, food, and other supplements. Vitamin D is also known as the Sunshine vitamin. The composition of Vitamin D is carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. The rays of the Sun that reflects on 7-D hydro cholesterol on Vitamin D which is present in our body are converted to cholecalciferol which is utilized by our body. Let's know about the Benefits, Sources, and Deficiency of Vitamin D.
Benefits/Functions of Vitamin D
- It maintains normal blood levels of calcium and phosphorous.
- It aids in the absorption of calcium, helping to form and maintain strong bones.
- It triggers the body's immune cells to produce antibodies.
- It provides protection from and decreases an individual risk of osteoporosis and several autoimmune diseases.
- Vitamin D assists in the maintenance of joint and muscle comforts as well as maintenance of a healthy mood.
- It regulates insulin levels and supporting diabetes management.
- It supports lung functioning and cardiovascular health.
- Vitamin D has many other roles in the body including modulation of cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function, and reduction of inflammation.
Sources of Vitamin D
Vitamin D is present in plant products such as Mushrooms, cereals, fruits, soybean, sunlight, etc. Animal sources such as Milk, Fish, Cord liver oil, Shark liver oil, egg yolk, cheese, etc.
Deficiency disease of Vitamin D
Osteomalacia – It is a disease characterized by the softening of bones caused by impaired bone metabolism due to insufficient levels of available Vitamin D. Osteomalacia is found in the case of adults due to deficiency of Vitamin D which is normally derived from sunlight. Bones become fragile and muscle gets weakened in this condition.
Osteoporosis – It is a disease in which bone weakening increases the risk of a broken bone. It is caused by a lack of Vitamin D in the body and is found in the case of older people. Small pores or holes are formed in the bones which make them weak and easily break.
Rickets – It is a condition that results in weak or soft bones in young children. In this condition, stunted growth, bone pain, large foreheads are observed in children.
We hope this information about Vitamin D will be useful for you. If you want to get more information about Health / Medical, you can comment below, we will reply to you as soon as possible.